Safeguarding Your Medicine
We have heard from so many people since we started this campaign with questions, comments, and quite a bit of positive feedback. We are so glad that people are interested in learning about this important health issue and most importantly, are spreading the word to other parents. In a number of e-mails and comments, people have expressed concern and frankly, surprise that they need to be aware of what's in their home medicine cabinets. But the fact is, over-the-counter medicines should be treated with the same care and respect that you would give to any medicines. When taken as directed, cough medicine is safe and effective, but when misused and taken in extreme doses, it can be dangerous. That is why safeguarding your medicine cabinet is key. We have said it before, but it bears repeating – know what you can do to protect your children:
- Know what medicines and how much of them are in your home.
- Keep track of your medicines.
- Teach your kids that medicine is important for treating illness, but that it should only be used according to directions and under adult supervision
- Read the label and carefully administer medicine to your children
- Tell your kids that they should never take someone else's medicine
- Tell your friends to keep an eye on their medicine cabinets