Together, we can put an end to teen over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicine abuse.
You know what dextromethorphan (DXM) is, that approximately one in 25 teens reports abusing (OTC) cough medicine containing DXM to get high, and teens who learn about the risks of drugs from their parents are 50 percent less likely to abuse drugs. Now we need your help to spread the word to other parents and people in your community to raise awareness about OTC cough medicine abuse. Whether it is talking to a friend or attending an event in your community, every little bit counts.
There are a lot of things you can do to spread awareness:
Steps You Can Take Right Now
Contact Your Legislators
Submit a letter of support for the PACT Act to your legislators.Contact Your Legislators
Like us on Facebook
Become a member of our Stop Medicine Abuse Facebook community and share updates with your friends.
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Twitter for all the latest tips, news, and updates from the Five Moms.Follow @stopmedabuse
Download & share the “Preventing Teen Cough Medicine Abuse” brochure
Download the brochure and share it with other parents.Download the Brochure
Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter
Sign up for the StopMedicineAbuse.org quarterly e-newsletter to hear from our Five Moms and other advocates.
Steps You Can Take In Your Community
- The next time you are talking with other parents – at a sporting event, grabbing lunch, or in other settings – tell them about what you have learned on this website. Suggest that they educate themselves on OTC cough medicine abuse, talk to their teens and safeguard their medicines.
- Speak at Parent Teacher Association (PTA) meetings or find a local pharmacist or law enforcement representative to speak at a PTA meeting about OTC cough medicine abuse.
- Ask your school nurse to put brochures and posters in school health rooms.
- Post an article to your school’s parent newsletter or parent listserv.
- Check out our resources for parents.
- Join the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) chapter in your local area to get involved.
Steps You Can Take to Involve Your Teen
- Visit the teen-focused DXMstories.com with your teen to learn the true dangers of abuse. Encourage parents in your community to do the same.
- Try our conversation starters.
For more information for parents and other community leaders, visit Tools to Take Action.
Stop Medicine Abuse Icon
The Stop Medicine Abuse educational icon is featured on packages and bottles of most DXM-containing medicines to alert parents to the potential for teens to abuse it. Spread the word about the need to get educated and prevent OTC cough medicine abuse by sharing the icon on Facebook and Twitter.