September 18, 2007 —
According to the Mohave Daily News, one quarter of all eighth, 10th, and 12th graders in Mohave County, Arizona, have abused prescription and over-the-counter drugs. To address these problems, Mohave County created a drug education and prevention program to help parents talk to their children about drug and alcohol abuse. Here are several tips for parents to keep their kids from abusing medicines:
- Become educated on the dangers of prescription and OTC drug abuse.
- Communicate with your children on those dangers.
- Safeguard your medicine cabinet.
- Be a parent and not a friend.
- Set clear boundaries and monitor children closely.